Monday, October 26, 2009

My Getaway


I sat on the deck of the Hatteras Ferry, with the wind in my face, as it made its way toward Ocracoke and felt the weight of the world leave my shoulders. The only break in the darkness ahead of us was the flash of the red and green channel markers as the pilot made his way in between them…finding his way by spotlight, buoy to buoy; marker to marker. I am sure that the people lounging in their cars had to wonder why I had a big smile on my face…simple; I was going to my haven, my refuge, known simply as “the Island”. Nothing else needs to be said. As the lights of Hatteras grew smaller and faded behind me, replaced by the Ocracoke lights ahead, again I relaxed more and more. Some of you will know exactly what I am talking about...for those of you who have never experienced the feeling, I am sorry. As we neared the docks of Ocracoke, I could see the lights of flounder giggers in the water, probing for their elusive prey. The wake of the ferry caught one by surprise as he quickly made his way back to the shore before he was hit by the chilly wake of the boat.

Entering the village, Ocracoke is much different this time of the year than summer. We found the usual stores and restaurants that are usually bright and lively in July silent and dark in October. The sound of car engines, horns and chattering tourist have been replaced by only crickets and frogs. Oh, but the mosquitoes are the same! They quickly welcomed me back as if I was a long lost friend they had missed seeing. So I left them to themselves and made my way to the recliner where I wait to see what tomorrow brings but one thing is sure…I am at Ocracoke and no matter what, rain or shine, tomorrow will be a good day!

1 comment:

  1. My family and I feel the exact same way. We go to Ocracoke almost every year, even in the winter! It is so peaceful and calm there. Renting bikes, canoeing, or simply taking a walk there is above and beyond anything here on "the mainland".

    Jenna Hardy

    ReplyDelete