Monday, October 17, 2011

I AM JOINING THE MARINES: PART ONE

…..Don’t worry mom, it’s only for a week.
My trek began this morning at around 10 am as I made my way to Raleigh to meet up with the Marine Corps representatives. At check-in, I received my packet, my room mate assignment and was “ordered” to meet back down at 6 pm to be briefed about our agenda for the night and morning. Captain Prather let us know what the Marines could do for our students and told a few stories about some recruits that we would see. We were told that we would be able to see a graduation on Friday….that sounds exciting. One thing that the Captain told us is that when we reach Parris Island tomorrow, we will be assigned our guides and they are all drill instructors. He also kind of smiled when he said they had a little something special for us when we got off the bus. Now I have seen Full Metal Jacket and if we have a man like R. Lee Ermey yelling at us, I am going to freak out!
After our briefing, we headed down to the restaurant downstairs to eat dinner…on the Marine Corps of course. It was fun talking to other educators from all over the state while we had dinner. We leave tomorrow morning at 7 am (or as Captain Prather said, “O 700) to board the bus headed to Parris Island which will take about 6 hours. WOW! I better get to bed…it’s going be an early morning. I will post more tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment