Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good-bye My Friend

There are quite a few things I have done in my life that was hard…but none as hard as the decision I have to make. I have begged and pleaded for my dog to peacefully die by himself, but it does not seem that will be the case. Today the kids and Rebecca came home to find him in the goldfish pond and not being able to get out. I guess that he was going once more to be in the water, a place he loved when he was young. When I got home, Rebecca had gotten him out and was warming him because he was so cold. I laid with him and finally brought him into the garage and we both laid together through the afternoon. As he slowly stopped shaking, he tried so hard to breath. I thought that he would go at any time, but again, it was not to be so. He finally laid down his head and rested. His breathing finally calmed and he was fine throughout the evening. We just went back out to tell him good night and to cover him up to stay warm. Once again I told him that it was time and ok for him to leave…that he had been a great dog and friend throughout the years. Then I spent time pleading with God to take him so I would not have to go through making the decision to take him to the vet in the morning to have him “put down”. That sounds so terrible! So as he spends his last night on this earth, my heart breaks as the hours pass until I have to take him to the vet. It is the hardest I have ever made. I guess it is a part of growing up and if it is, I want no part of it.

2 comments:

  1. This is so terribly sad. I am drawing my own conclusions about how this conflict was resolved, and I am sorry to think of it. Sometimes the hardest part about loving is knowing that you will one day have to be separated from the people (or animals) that you love so much. The best I can do is not think about it and try to soak up every healthy minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story touched me bud. It really speaks to the deepest part my heart - the fear of saying goodbye to myself or others. Who knows whether all dogs go to heaven, but I know that God's heart was full of sorrow along with yours - not because he fears death, but because Psalms says "the Lord is near to the brokenhearted". As for dealing with mortality, I know that Jesus did not come so that I could hope, but I honestly don't know how anyone can make it in this world without Christ. My heart went out for you when I read this. I know someday I will likely go through the same with my dog and likely the boys will be your boys' age, which will make it tougher.

    On a funny note, I'll never forget the time your dog knocked me on my tailbone while I was house sitting for you. I was trying to play ball with him, I ended up with the wind knocked out of me, unable to even whisper and laying there as he kept running around the yard.

    Shaun

    ReplyDelete