Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Buddy Sinjin

This is Sinjin. He has been my buddy since 1997. I guess you could say he was Rebecca and my’s first child. A couple here in Bethel had a litter and I decided to get a dog but Rebecca wasn’t too keen on the idea! I remember the day we went to look at them. All the others ran around the yard…all except Sinjin. He mad a bee line for Rebecca, crawled up in her lap and went to sleep. He had her! Before we left, she told me that he was the one. So we made the deal and Sinjin was ours.
We took him to our new house and the older he got, the more he tormented Rebecca! He would take her gloves and run around the yard with them. As quickly as she planted flowers, he would dig them back up and he even went as far as peeing on her when she was planting them. You see, he had become my buddy and he did not want to share me with her.
We went hunting when he was trained and though he was not a field trial perfect dog, he did a great job for me. He worked hard to please me and often proved me wrong when I thought I knew where the duck would fall. There were times that I would shoot at the ducks, miss them and he would give me that look. During the winter it was not unusual to see him in the swamp with ice in his hair; but it did not seem to bother him…the colder the better! He would not think twice about jumping in the middle of a frozen swamp to get a downed bird.
Now he is in bad shape. We are not sure what is wrong with him, but he has lost 20lbs since last June. The vet has said he has a mass on his liver, along with other problems and an enlarged heart. Without doing more tests like biopsy or exploratory, they will not know what the problem is. Here is the kicker; with his heart the way it is, even if we did know what was wrong he is very high risk and the vet does not recommend him going under anesthesia. We are going to try a new diet and some antibiotics to try to keep infection and the gases from building up in him. Hopefully it will help him some IF I can get him to eat. That is another problem in itself. If that does not work, I don’t know what I am going to do….well I do know what I HAVE to do, but I don’t like the thought of it!
Just thought I would write some for therapy. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, Phil. I know that's a sickening, sinking place to be for a man and his dog. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete