Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Know Something Makes You Do It!

And that "it" is just makes you smile! It can be anything that causes you to relax, smile or harken back to days gone by. At that moment, the stars are lined up and all is right with the world. Let me tell you what one of those "its" is for me....IT'S A BASEBALL FIELD! Sometimes, I dont have to even be there. For example, I am watching Field of Dreams now on TV; to me one of the top three baseball movies ever made. (The other two being The Natural and Summer Catch) When it showed the baseball field Ray Kinsella, Kevin Costner's character, created, I had that feeling. I love going out on the baseball field at North Pitt and just walking. If I can take my shoes off and go barefooted, that's even better. There is something about the green grass, red clay and lights that I love. There are many nights and days when I coached, that I would just take a bucket and go sit out in center field and take in the sights and smells of the field. In 1998, the baseball team went to the state playoffs and made a run all the way to the eastern regional championship. After each home game, Preston Bowers and I would sit at home plate and just take it all in. Everyone would be gone and we would sit and talk, taking in the "feeling of the field". Now let me tell you, its not just the field either. It is the feel of a baseball in your hand, the glove as it wraps around your fingers or how a bat feels as you grip in and prepare to hit the ball....MAN!
For those of you that have your own "it" you understand what I am saying.....And if you are saying to yourself, "He has lost it and call in the white coats!" I tell you to get out and get passionate about something. Find something that makes your heart beat stronger, your stomach get butterflies and makes you smile!

1 comment: