Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Rant

I keep listening to sports radio and ESPN and they keep calling this the "steroid era" in baseball. I am sick and tired of it. By labeling this the "steroid era" you are hanging that moniker on every person that is playing or has played since 2000. Also, every "performance enhancer" is not a "steroid". And what is "performance enhancing"? Brian Roberts, once second baseman for the Orioles, was an average player until a few years ago. That is until he had laser surgery to correct his eyesight. Afterwards, he had an all star year. He batted well over 300 was the talk of all baseball. Did he not enhance his performance? How about if I take vitamins, energy drinks, or corrective surgery. Aren't they performance enhancers? Let me give you my take on it that I have not heard anyone else say. Stay with me now.

Steroids ran rampant in the NFL in the late 70s and 80s. NFL tested and caught many players, however, baseball did not. If there were so many professional football players taking steroids, why does everyone think that there were no baseball players taking them until 2000? Are we to think and believe, following the media like blind sheep, that baseball was 20 years behind football. Let's look at some players that have not and will not ever be accused of performance enhancing. Has anyone ever looked at Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett or Bo Jackson? Do we think that those guys got that big naturally? And heaven forbid we ever accuse Reggie Jackson. Look at what these guys did and their size. Now I would never say that they were juicing, but if we look at players today who are muscular and accuse them, shouldn't we do the same for those prior to the 2000s? We have better nutrition and supplements today, but if a guy hits tons of home runs and has muscles, he has to be taking steroids.

Also, if the people who have been named lately like A-Rod, were being tested anonymously in 2003, why have there not been any investigation on who leaked out this confidential, anonymous information. I would be the first to start a lawsuit if I had been "outed". The tests were supposedly just to try to get a handle on what steroid problem there may be in MLB. Why were names even listed with tests.

Just thought I would give you something to think about today.

3 comments:

  1. This truly is a rant. I love ranting. Unfortunately, I don't have much opinion on the topic. I'm sure Shaun will though, since Kirby Puckett is his fave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh Oh, I cant wait until he gets home and reads it then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bad bad man. Kirby Puckett was basically a fat guy who worked out and could run. I suppose now you're going to accuse Chris Farley of using performance enhancers too?

    I do agree with your rant, but I think the main problem is that they don't really have a definitive line on what is illegal now and what could be in the near future, unlike the NFL. If it's all about making millions and being the best homerun hitter, etc, then these players have come a LOOONG way from the players of old. The nation has always loved baseball, but it certainly was more about the fans and the fun of making a career out of something that is both fun and challenging.

    One thing I know is that I am glad that I fell in love with baseball before I was outraged like you, so I won't ever give up on it. I will vote for Phil for commissioner, though.

    ReplyDelete