Saturday, July 11, 2009

Late Night Ramblings

Ok, lets talk about kayaking. For the past couple of years, I have grown to enjoy the sport of kayaking. I caught the bug a couple of summers ago when I spent a week in Montana on the Missouri River. I went with NCCAT and paddled around 50 miles and hiked another 30 or so. Afterwards, I bought a 14 foot Wilderness Pamlico "sit in" river kayak and a 14 foot Hobie "sit on top" ocean kayak. There is a huge difference between the two. Other than the obvious of "sit in" and sit on", is the purpose for which they are created. The river kayak is much less sturdy than the ocean kayak. You could turn yourself over in the river kayak, but it is very difficult to turn yourself over in the ocean kayak without help from a wave. Also, the ocean kayak is "self bailing", that is to say it has holes in the bottom that will let water out but not in.
Kayaking is a very peaceful pass time. Usually there is nothing but the sound of nature and the splash of a paddle. You also tend not to scare animals as much is a kayak as any other watercraft. I am not sure if it is because you are so close to the water or the lack of noise you make. My advise to anyone is to give it a try...and if you need a partner, give me a call.
Goodnight

1 comment:

  1. I learned a lot from reading this! It sounds like this is becoming one of your "its" that makes you smile too. :)

    ReplyDelete